We do have many volunteer opportunities including but not limited to, docent/tour guide, front desk, cleaning, maintenance and lawn upkeep.
Volunteer Applications are at the bottom of the page.
Volunteer Museum Docent/Tour Guide
- SUPERVISED BY: Receptionist/Administrative Assistant and Executive Director
- PURPOSE OF JOB: To provide a welcome, hospitable environment and rewarding learning experience to museum visitors through guided tours.
- DUTIES MAY INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Conducting museum tours of approximately 1 1/2 hours in length. Be comfortable speaking to small and large groups of people of all ages.
- Greet and welcome tour groups upon their arrival at the Pioneer Florida Museum & Village.
- Deal skillfully with a diversity of visitors under a variety of circumstances
- Continually be aware and keep informed about changes in the exhibits.
- Assist staff at the information desks by providing information to museum visitors and answering their questions about the Pioneer Florida Museum & Village, particularly if your tour is late arriving.
- Occasionally, tours fail to show and when that happens, docents might wander through the museum to engage individual visitors and families in impromptu tours or conversations.
- Be responsible, if you cannot give a tour you are scheduled to do, please notify us as soon as possible so we can find a replacement.
- Most docents wear period clothing or costumes, which we prefer, but do not require. We have some clothing available for loan.
We need Docents for weekday and occasionally Saturday tours. Booked tours consist of school groups, adult groups, chartered tours, etc. During the fall - spring, in addition to booked tours, we hold Special Events/Festivals about once month. We like to have a docent in every building and walking the grounds on event days. You can volunteer for 2-3 days a month(approx. 2 hours for guided tours) or as much as you like (guided tours, events, etc.). We email you or have you check our online calendar and ask you to commit to whatever tours or events fit into your schedule. Summer time is slow, Fall though Spring is busier.
- Enjoy interacting and comfortable meeting with other people
- Personable, outgoing
- Reliable, responsible
- Extensive prior knowledge of the Pioneer Florida Museum is not required but a prospective docent should have a desire to learn.
- Able to work independently
- Ability to speak comfortably before groups of people
- Physically able to lead tours around the museum
- Enthusiastic, flexible
- TRAINING PROVIDED, you will shadow other docents until you feel comfortable working alone.
- Clean FDLE background
Please call 352-567-0262 or email : curator@PioneerFloridaMuseum.org if you are interested. Please print, fill out and return the application and waiver the museum via email, in person or mail to:PFM, PO Box 335 Dade CIty, FL 33526-0335.