Old Lacoochee Schoolhouse
This was the first historically significant building to be moved to the Museum Grounds, the Old Lacoochee School, was acquired in 1976, only a few weeks before it was scheduled to be torn down. Although built in the 1930's as a part of a complex of frame school buildings and used as a first grade building, the structure is architecturally typical of the one room school houses of an earlier period. The school has been restored and furnished in the style of the one room schools prevalent in Pioneer Florida. The addition of electric lights, salvaged from another 20th century school building, has made the Old Lacoochee School available for use as a classroom for courses and meetings offered by the Pioneer Florida Museum & Village.
The Trilby Depot built in 1896 and a 1913 Porter Steam Engine were previously located in the nearby town of Trilby, once the third largest railroad yard in Florida. The steam engine was used for 50 years by the Cummer Cypress Co. to haul logs to its sawmill in Lacoochee. The logs on the truck are estimated to be between four and five hundred years old.
Blanton Packing House
This structure was built in 1909 and opened in 1910, employing many area people and shipping citrus by rail and truck.
The Blanton Packing House was a working citrus plant until the 1989 killer freeze and was like a museum within it's walls. The Pioneer Museum and Village is in the process of preserving history and now we are in the phase of re-constructing this Blanton Packing House back to a working structure. The Museum has formed a Citrus Committee of agricultural citrus growers, packers, processors, business and professional members. They will help with historical information, research, financial fund raising.
(click image for close-up view)
J.L. Bromley Shoe Repair
J.L. Bromley Shoe Repair was donated to the Pioneer Florida
Museum by Mrs .Pearl Bromley. It was originally located at the
corner of Pasco and 8th Streets in Downtown Dade City.
John Lewis (Jack) Bromley came to Dade City from Kansas in 1913. He was a gifted shoemaker. After getting his wife
Minnie and son Fred settled in their home on Fort King Road, he opened his shoe repair business which he operated until poor health closed it's doors in 1930. At that time the shop was moved to the Fred Bromley property on Pasadena Road.
It remained there until acquired by the Museum in the summer of 1990. Many area residents will remember the late Fred Bromley, who operated a watch repair business in Zephyrhills for 42 years.